Rene Matos Scholarship Program
The Rene Matos Memorial Scholarship was established in honor of a very motivated and dedicated man, who epitomized the dream to succeed, while helping others along the way. Even from his humble beginnings as an air traffic controller in Puerto Rico, Rene displayed a talent and personality that could not be contained there. While he was in Puerto Rico, Matos never curbed his desire to advance in his career. Already gifted in what he did as a controller, Rene wanted to do more; not only for his own career, but for other Hispanics as well. He educated himself and eventually moved up in the ranks as a top manager at the William J. Hughes Technical Center in New Jersey. It was Rene’s drive, diligence and determination that earned him that position.
Rene Matos was the NHCFAE President from 1989-1992. Rene was proud of his heritage and it was apparent in all his efforts in the Coalition. His sole purpose was to see other Hispanics succeed. We honored his dream by establishing a scholarship in his name.
This year, the Rene Matos Scholarship Program application filing periods is from February 13, 2023 to May 1, 2023.
HOW TO APPLY
Current Application Period open until May 1, 2023
STEP 1: Check Your Eligibility
- Must be a US Citizen or a permanent resident residing in the United States or Puerto Rico.
- Current DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) recipients
- Applicants must be accepted or attending an accredited college, university, or vocational/trade school at the time the scholarship is awarded.
- All applications must be submitted by May 1, 2023 at 11:59 PM EDT. Applications received after the application deadline will NOT be accepted.
Step 2: Get the Details
- Current application period February 13, 2023 to May 1, 2023.
- The NHCFAE Scholarship Selection Committee evaluates applicants on the following criteria:
- Financial Need
- Academic Achievement
- Student Activities
- Community Involvement
- Personal Qualities and Strengths
- The NHCFAE Scholarship Selection Committee evaluates application packages and all decisions by the committee are FINAL.
- After scholarship is awarded recipients will be asked to write a short article for the NHCFAE FAAmilia magazine.
- After scholarship is awarded scholarship recipients will asked to video under 60 seconds explaining their educational goals and how the scholarship will help achieve them.
- Scholarship recipients will be acknowledged during the Annual National Training Conference.
- Scholarship names will be published in the NHCFAE website and in our FAAmilia magazine.
Step 3: Apply
- Complete the online application at: Application for Rene Matos Memorial Scholarship Program. Scholarships will be awarded based on the information contained on this scholarship application.
- Upload a copy of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Financial Report submitted to the college, university or vocation/trade school where you are or will be enrolled.
- Upload an Official Transcript to the application of recent high school/college/vocational or trade school and a verification of enrollment must accompany your application. Please have school compute and annotate GPA on official transcript based on 4.0 (unweighted). First year graduate students are to send their undergraduate transcript.
- Letter of Recommendation (dated within past year) is to be submitted from a school official who can verify your academic honors and/or awards; student activities; and community involvement as well as discuss your potential for future success. It should address qualities such as motivation, self-confidence, leadership and commitment. The name of the school with an address and telephone number of the official writing the recommendation should be included. Upload the Letter of Recommendation to the application if you have more than one letter, combine them into one file and upload that file.
- February 13, 2023- Application period Opens @ 8:00 AM Eastern Time
- May 1, 2023 - Application period Closes @ 11:59 PM Eastern Time
- August 1-3, 2023 - Scholarship recipients will be acknowledged during the Annual National Training Conference.
- September 30, 2023-Selected applicants will be notified no later than September 30, 2023 and names will be displayed on the NHCFAE Rene Matos Scholarship Program webpage.
Applicants will not be discriminated on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, gender, religion, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity.
Questions in reference to this Scholarship program may be submitted to the National Director of Education at email@example.com.
NOT A MEMBER?
Join now to receive exclusive membership benefits and updates